The Exercise is Medicine initiative of the American College of Sports Medicine has been established in South Africa to promote regular exercise for health. A specific goal is to empower health care providers to monitor exercise habits in all patients and to be able to prescribe exercise as part of regular patient care.
Exercise is Medicine workshops/courses for health care providers and fitness professional will therefore be presented regularly. Topics include risk stratification, pre-exercise evaluation and principles of exercise prescription, as well as a discussion on appropriate referrals for exercise prescription.
Attendance of the workshops will allow attendants to apply for Exercise is Medicine (SA) accreditation as exercise prescription expert healthcare or exercise prescription provider.
As an Exercise is Medicine accredited service provider you will receive regular literature updates on exercise for health, as well as access to all Exercise is Medicine clinical material.
Your details will be made available on a public database of exercise prescription providers. You will receive an Exercise is Medicine branded plaque (at a fee) and certificate (free) to display at your practice, clinic or exercise centre.
Fee for On-line Course for the HCP:
R600 for SASMA member
R850 for non-SASMA member
Fee for On-line Course for the H&FP (including 3 workshops):
How it works:
1. Download the Registration Form, Complete and Send to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Email Proof of Payment to same e-mail.
3. You will be sent a link to the TG e-learning platform and access all the reading material from the platform. Complete the reading in your own time.
4. You will also be sent a link for the test.
5. Once you have completed the test, send an e-mail to email@example.com to inform us you have completed the test-
6. The EIM SA office will mark the test.
7. The result will be sent to you- (Pass is 75%)- If you fail, we will send you the wrong questions to do again- You can re-submit test, until you pass.
8. If you pass the test, you will be sent the SA accreditation form – This allows you to choose if you want a certificate only and/or a Plaque.
9. Plaque is ordered and delivered on receipt of proof of payment.
10. The accredited professional can go to www.exerciseismedicine.org.za and submit their listing on our web-site.
11. This is checked and your listing as an accredited EIM SA Professional is listed on our directory.
NOTE: There are 2 different courses- A course for the HCP and one for the H&FP.
The Health and Fitness Professional will also have to complete 3 practical workshops as part of their accreditation – This is why the course fee is different. The dates of these will be e-mailed to you once you have registered and paid. You will be required to complete the on-line course for the H&FP before attending the practical workshops.